Monday, April 14, 2014

Harvest Monday April 14th, 2014

The week started out with some nice soup. It might be the last major soup dish of the spring unless it gets cold again. Not much came from the garden. The Chinese cabbage was not mine. The carrots, celery , and onions were not mine. I think the only things that were from the garden were garlic and sage.

And speaking of sage, I used the last of the sage to make some homemade sausage. I figured if I couldn't buy premade sausage because they add a lot of nasty things, I'd just make my own. I don't have a grinder or anything, so I just used ground turkey (and not the low fat variety). A couple other seasonings like thyme and onion powder came from the garden too. The applesauce was homemade, but not from my trees. My husband has really been into applesauce recently so I even made more. This time with no sugar and no lemon so I can eat it too. I also ground up the peels to keep the fiber content high. My husband declared that it was good. My daughter complained it wasn't as good as the jars I made in the fall.

Kale, Sweet Potatoes, and Seasonings from the Garden
This seemed to be the week of eating sweet potatoes. I ate them most every day. Last week it was squash.

Sadly I only have three sweet potatoes left, though one of them is huge.

I often switch to sweet potatoes when the pureed squash runs out. And it had last week. So yesterday I made some more. I now have five nice containers in the freezer again. And only three squash left. Though as I walked by the squash (which I store on the stairs going down to the basement), I noticed that one is starting to rot in one small spot. I should have noticed that when I picked which squash to roast. Oh well. Maybe I'll roast up two more to freeze. It is about the time for that anyway as they only store so long.

So some of my stored goods are getting low and some have run out altogether already. I have noticed that my overwintered kale is starting to grow again. Some nice leaves are forming. I hope the rest of what is planted grows quickly. Fresh food would be so nice right now.

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

16 comments:

  1. Your sausage looks delicious, would you mind posting the recipe?
    We are all longing for fresh produce from the garden this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1lb turkey, 1/4 t ginger, 1 1/2 t salt, t sage, t black pepper, 1/4 t thyme, 1/2 t onion powder, 1/4 t fennel seed. Mix spices together then mix into turkey.

      Delete
  2. None of my kale made it through the winter, and I am missing it. Fresh food is so nice after a long winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely butternut squash. I didn't grow them last year but they're on the garden plan for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of cool that you are still eating squash from last season. I'd love to store squash during the winter but no one in my family will eat it so it would just be a wasted of garden space to grow it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to grow Butternut Squash, i do love to cook with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are getting low on your supplies. Good thing gardening season is just around the corner! Is the applesauce without sugar sour? Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up what sugar sour was. Nope just apples and nothing else. Well some cinnamon.

      Delete
    2. Oh you are so funny...I had to re-read the comment! Sometimes this technology stuff really takes the Human out of the context...ya' know what I mean?

      Delete
  7. thanks for the sausage recipe - did you use all dark meat turkey or a mixture of both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure. I just bought the highest fat ground turkey that I could find.

      Delete
  8. Yay for no more soup meals! All your veggies kept so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost forgot! Yeah I managed to post two weeks in a row!!! And the garden is getting ready to give up some Artichokes!!! Your soup looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reminder to check our storage squash! We've still a couple left but have tired of eating them... time for spring greens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still a couple of inches of snow here this morning. Nice surprise after the solid day of rain that was still pouring down when I checked the barn at 11PM last night!
    That soup looks delicious, even if not from your garden this time.
    Many years ago I also made sausage from scratch, starting with raising a pig :)

    ReplyDelete