Friday, July 20, 2012

Putting the Garden Back Together

Remember the damage from the microburst we had two days ago? Well can you see it? All fixed up. Well almost. Each corn stalk has a bamboo pole holding it up. Some of the roots were ripped out. They may or may not recover. Some of the stalks were so strong that they didn't tip over. They snapped. I lost a few ears of corn that way. I lost some tops at the end of the row that will now not pollinate anything. So I went out and shook the nearby ones this morning to get the pollen to drift down. Anyway I've got my fingers crossed.

The bean trellis got four more supports to push the structure back upright. It seems sturdy again. I hope we don't get that kind of wind again.

I went out biking yesterday I blithely headed to the bike path. We are near the Minuteman Bikeway which is a very busy bikeway. Well not so much then. I think of all the places, that one had the most downed trees for any place I saw. Every ten feet there was another downed tree. Needless to say it was closed. So I wandered the back streets for as long as I could before getting on Mass Ave and I couldn't believe the devastation everywhere. One poor person had two beautiful trees taller than his house in his front yard. The trees were on top of his house. The roots ripped out. The concrete sidewalk was totally ripped up and sticking up into the air as it was stuck to the roots. The farmers market was open at the time and got totally ripped apart. Luckily they were more toward the edge of it and I haven't heard of any injuries. Yesterday the whole day all I heard were helicopters and chainsaws. As of last night there were still lots of closed roads because of power lines that hadn't been fixed. I swear every tree service was out chopping down trees. We got off pretty easy at our house. We didn't even lose power. And today seems quieter. I don't even hear a chainsaw.

6 comments:

  1. It looks like we are getting through July without any really damaging winds. Corn down, yes....trees down, no. Most years we do have a terrible windstorm or two. We've lost our shingles twice, and then there was the big maple tree that went down in 2008. But we've had acquaintances who have had trees fall on their homes or vehicles, demolishing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the year for storms. We had that derecho at the beginning of the month. No hurricanes yet have made their way up the coast so there's more bad weather possible for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to see that things are back in order now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you've got it back together, hope the corn survives. Nature can be quite amazing in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you were not impacted as much as it seems others were. You did a great job of shoring things up! I did not notice the support poles until I read your narrative and began looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you were one of the lucky ones, we lost power a few weeks ago in the big storm and it was not fun.

    ReplyDelete